Sunday, July 14, 2013

Bastille Day: French in Des Moines

This past weekend I was in Des Moines, and what better way to celebrate Bastille Day than with a visit to The Cheese Shop and La Mie. These are two places I've wanted to try forever.

The Cheese Shop offers over 100 artisan and farmhouse cheeses, and also has a cheese tasting bar, craft beers and wine, and cured meats. This made for a mighty tasty lunch. We couldn't hold back on ordering so got a charcuterie plate, cheese plate and a cheese souffle. Everything was absolutely delightful and coming here was such a fun way to spend an hour or two.







After stuffing ourselves at The Cheese Shop, we walked next door to La Mie, which is a well known bakery in Des Moines. Everything looked so delicious and fresh, but I had one things on my mind: French Maracons. This is my absolute favorite treat, and the lavendar with white chocolate blew me out of the water!



Although Des Moines is a small city, they do have some killer food. And now as I close my computer, I am realizing the weekend is officially over...ugh, sigh.

1 comment: